Stories from our past-May 2, 2019

Each week, the Gazette looks back on stories from the past. Here is what happened this week, by year…

 

1909

The construction outlook for the season would seem to indicate that there would be almost a general standstill about town and county. With the exception of some small works there will be little if any, building done in town this year.

The Picton Cheese Board, medium for the barter and sale of many thousand dollar’s worth of one of the County’s most important products, opened for the 1909 season. This is the earliest start for the local Cheese Board in some time.

The ferry service between Glenora and the Adolphustown shore will be continued for this season but the proposal to bonus a boat on the Cressy to Picton route was note met with success.

1939

-Following Wellington’s decision to observe daylight savings time during the summer months, the village of Bloomfield, will follow suit and move the clocks ahead one hour. The change will be effective from May 13 to Sept. 1.

-Consecon Women’s Institute met  at the home of Mrs. George Alyea, 3rd concession of Ameliasburgh. There was a good attendance of members and a number of visitors were present.

-The new ferry which will operate between Glenora and Adolphustown is scheduled to arrive. The ferry is being built at Owen Sound and will carry three lines of cars, with the deck situated above. It is expected to require four men to operate it.

1969

-The Mountain View airport has been designated as headquarters for all future glider training in the Province. This action follows the recent graduation of 16 glider pilots at the station. The course is sponsored for the reserve officers with the Ontario Provincial committee of the Air Cadet League of Canada.

-The newly amalgamated Hastings and Prince Edward Separate School Board set its 1969 cost of operation at $2.2 million. However the board has yet to produce its levy requirements for all 25 municipalities under its jurisdiction. Because audited statements of 1968 expenditures are unavailable, no estimate was made of the total increase in education costs.

1979

-The Glenora Fishery Research Station has traditionally studied biological needs of Ontario’s fish populations. A new scientist, Dr. Peter Sly, a marine geologist, join the staff this year and has provided a new twist to research as evidenced at the station’s annual open house.

-One of Prince Edward County’s sleeping industrial giants will be waking later this year, when the Bethlehem Steel iron ore docks come back into operation under new ownership. Carl Johnston, former manager of the local shipping operation, announced that Indusmin Ltd., a member of the Falconbridge mining group, has taken over the property and it should be back in operation later this year.