Stories from our past-May 9, 2019

May 9, 2019

Each week, the Gazette looks back on stories from the past. Here is what happened this week, by year…

1909:

  • Cheese production throughout Prince Edward County is on the rise. This was evident at the largest board meeting of the season. At the opening Mr Morgan reported scales would be borrowed from Mr. Hadden for the weighing of cheese until the new ones arrived from Montreal.
  • New steel cages for the office of the Chief of Police have arrived in Picton and may be considered to have attained the dignity of a “lock-up”. The cages are of ample proportions to contain several offenders against the peace and are located in the office formerly occupied by Mr. R.A. Norman, the former town clerk. Now who will be the first “lucky” man to come into the hands of the law and get himself locked up?

1939:

  • New postage stamps of the one cent, two cent and three cent denominations will be issued and placed on sale at the local post office. The new stamps will commemorate the Royal visit to Canada.
  • Angling for pike and pickerel will commence on May 16 according to the Department of Game and Fisheries for Ontario. It was thought the department would open the season on May 13 so anglers could enjoy a weekend at their favourite sport by the announcement will be disappearing to many.
  • Local schools joined in presenting a concert at Picton United Church, which proved one of the most enjoyable musical events in many years.

1969:

  • A plaque inscribed “THE KENTE (QUINTE) MISSION 1668” was announced to commemorate the 1668 Sulpician priest mission in the Consecon area. The mission brought Sulpician priests to that area of the county, where they erected buildings and brought livestock, such as cattle, pigs and poultry from Ville-Marie (Montreal). The mission was abandoned in 1680 due to the heavy cost of maintenance and the establishment of Fort Frontenac.
  • A large barn fire caught the farm of Don Bartman of Bethesda. Hay, grain and farm equipment were lost. There was no loss of life, animal or otherwise. The fire was not attended to by any fire department, with the one at Camp Picton being restricted to an area of five miles, while Sophiasburgh had terminated their agreement with the Bloomfield fire protection.
  • According to the Information Branch of the Canada Dept. Of Agriculture, there were 56 positive cases of rabies in Prince Edward County from April 1, 1968 to March 31, 1969. Of these, nine were dogs, five cats, nine cattle, two horses and two racoons.

1979:

  • Members of the Branch 78 Royal Canadian Legion in Picton approved the building of $170,000 addition to their headquarters on Main Street. Harry Sisty, chairman of the building committee, said ground for the building should be broken in August. The addition would include a banquet hall of 1,800 square feet which would seat 150 people.
  • The Prince Edward County Big Brothers Association announced a “Big Run for Little Brothers” event . Sponsored participants would be able to run, walk and/or ride a bike in the 20 mile event. 100% of the proceeds would go to further organize the Big Brothers Association in Prince Edward County.
  • The Salmon Point Women’s Association met May 7 at the home of Mrs. Ross Saunders. Four visitors and 23 members were welcomed to the event where roll call was an exchange of plants, seeds and bulbs.