Thursday was a great day for local causes, initiatives and projects as a total of 17 Huff Family Fund (HFF) Grant were presented to successful applicants. The fund, which is managed by The County Foundation (TCF), gathered with the Huff Family at Huff Estate Winery where the winners were formally announced and provided their funds.
The HFF provides grants to registered charities in the County which offer programs and services to the citizens of Prince Edward County.
In total, 25 grant applications were accepted and two of the 17 2020 HFF Grant recipients are projects entering their second year of funding.
Established in 2017, The HFF encourages and supports the work many community organizations undertake to make Prince Edward County (PEC) so special.
As stated on the TCF website, the Huff family have made extensive donations to worthy causes in all corners of the Quinte region and their home community of Prince Edward County, and, perhaps the biggest legacy of the family is the HFF.
With a series of grants offered in a broad range of areas, these funding envelopes will help provide the qualifying organizations with the essential financial support needed to complement their missions, their hard work, their volunteers, and so much more.
The HFF is a commitment to the future of Prince Edward County, its children, families, and the challenge many face. It’s about helping within the community, supporting projects and programs based in the county that serve county people.
The purpose of The Huff Family Fund is, it will support organizations and institutions, through grants which provide projects and programs that support, Addictions and Mental Health, Animal Welfare, Arts and Culture, Health Care and Human Services, Housing Issues, Vital Signs Priority Areas as defined by TCF Vital Signs Reports, including: Educations and Learning; Food Security; and Transportation.
The 2020 grant recipients are as follows:
Health Care and Human Services
- Alzheimer Society of Hastings-Prince Edward – Minds in Motion – Maureen Corrigan, Executive Director.
- Heal With Horses Therapeutic Centre – Horse Arena End Walls Construction. Suzanne Latchford.
- Loyalist Humane Society – Roof Project. Gail Robinson.
- Prince Edward Bird Observatory – Transportation (Second year – Approved last year). Cheryl Anderson.
Arts & Culture
- Baxter Arts Centre – Barrier Free Access. Gillian Maloney, Board member.
- Glenwood Cemetery – Veterans Project. Sandy Latchford, Chair of Glenwood Cemetery Board.
- Prince Edward County Arts Council – Expansion of Artist Fund for Market Development. Janna Smith, Executive Director.
- Department of Illumination Artistic Company – ICE BOX Arts Education Program. Krista Dalby of the Department of Illumination Artistic Company.
Addiction and Mental Health
- County of Prince Edward – Police Services Board – Mental Health & Addictions Lunch & Learn for First Responders. Rick Gwozdowski.
- County of Prince Edward Public Library – Discover YOUth Group. Joanna Howard, Library Staff Member and Project Lead.
Education and Learning
- County of Prince Edward Public Library – Wellington Branch Meeting Space. Barbara Sweet, CEO of the Library.
- The Hastings and Prince Edward Learning Foundation – CML Snider P.S. – Technology Upgrade. Alyssa Engelsdorfer, Parent Council.
- Reaching for Rainbows – Staffing – For Bookkeeper Position. Judie McLaughlin, Executive Director.
- Prince Edward County Arts Council – County Kids Read – Cultivating Empathy through Literacy – For three years. Marlene from CKR
- Prince Edward Learning Centre – Good Food Market. Plus a contribution from The PEC Fund. Jonah Schein accepting for Kathy Kennedy, Executive Director.
- Prince Edward Learning Centre – Cooking Classes (Second year – Approved last year). Jonah Schein accepting for Kathy Kennedy, Executive Director.
- Alternatives for Women – Vi Cortney House. Caroline Granger, Chair of Board.
The 2020 HFF adjudication committee were: Trevor Brookes (Hallowell); Sandra Goranson (Athol); Maureen Adams (West Lake); Michael Hotrum (Wellington); Tony Walton (Picton); and Leslie Michener (North Marysburg). Supported by TCF Executive Director Jefferson Gilbert (Bloomfield/North Marysburg).
The Huff Family Fund was established at TCF after a number of years of Catharine and Lanny Huff, and continue to be, visionary patrons for the foundation. TCF is one of 191 community foundations across Canada offering leadership and funding to support initiatives that benefit our communities.
For more information on The HFF please visit https://thecountyfoundation.ca/grants-funds/funds-tcf-manages/huff-fund/
For more information on applying for The HFF please visit https://thecountyfoundation.ca/grants-funds/funds-tcf-manages/huff-fund/the-huff-family-fund-grant/