Toronto's Tannis Reddy won't be able to defend her 2019 County Marathon title until 2021 as the event has been called off this year. Reddy became the first woman in the 16 year history of the County Marathon to win the overall race. (Sarah Williams/Gazette Staff)
The annual Prince Edward County Marathon is taking a one year hiatus.
Due to safety concerns and an unpredictable sporting landscape in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, it appears organizers are erring on the side of caution and focussing on the 2021 race.
In a statement released to the media last week, the County Marathon Committee and Board said the race has always taken great pride in how the event is managed.
“Over our 16 years of races we have had, what we believe to have been, an admirable safety record. After careful review of our options for 2020 we have decided we simply can not guarantee the same level safety for our participants and volunteers as all of us have come to expect. As a result there will be no actual events here on the October 4, 2020 weekend. For 2020, for those runners who have already booked (or would like to), we will be offering postponement and/or virtual options for our various events, ” the statement said.
The committee also wished to thank all past sponsors including as the County of Prince Edward and Christine Hendon, committee members and volunteers, many who have committed to the first weekend of October for at least 10 years or maybe even all 16.
“You have this year off – but just the one year,” the release added. “Our next actual Race Weekend will be the October 3, 2021 weekend. We hope we can convince you to come back out to brave the weatherat that time. In the meantime – stay safe.”