Nearly $10,000 raised at 2018 Walk for Alzheimer’s

A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION- Nearly $10,000 was raised at the 2018 Prince Edward County Walk for Alzheimer's on Saturday at Sandbanks Provincial Park. (Jason Parks/Gazette Staff)



Over three dozen local residents of varying ages were putting their best foot forward Saturday in benefit of the Alzheimer Society of Hastings-Prince Edward.

The investors Group Walk for Alzheimer’s is Canada’s biggest fundraiser for Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.

The local edition of the walk on Saturday at Sandbanks Provincial Park raised nearly $10,000 with monies still be accounted for.

Morgan Haviland, Fund Development Coordinator for the Hastings-Prince Edward Chapter confirmed Saturday’s walk serves as the advocacy and support group’s largest and most important fundraising effort.

Haviland added that all funding raised in Prince Edward stays local and supports programs and services that improve quality of life for people living with dementia and their families, as well as support other activities like education and public awareness.

“When there’s an initial diagnosis, we are the first point of contact for many people and families” Haviland said, adding there is an education support coordinator on site at the Picton office at 90 King street during regular office hours from Monday to Thursday.

The weekend’s walk featured pleasant weather for a leisurely stroll through Sandbanks and Haviland said ASHPE wished to thank the park and park staff for allowing the organization to host the event at such a wonderful setting.

Prior to the walk, ASHPE Board member Melanie Payne thanked those in attendance and explained that the organization mines about 40 per cent of it’s operating budget through government grants, leaving about 60 per cent of operational funding to be made up by the communities the Society services.

“You are here today supporting your own community,” Payne said. We would not be able to provide these supports and programs without your help.”

In terms of top awards, the ‘Party Animals’, a collection of St. Greg’s students were deemed the most spirited team in 2018 while Dagney Benton and her team representing Pretsell Davies Thompson Benton Law was the top fundraising group in 2018.