Info For Seniors: Sign up for direct deposit of CRA payments

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) states that direct deposit is a fast, easy and secure way to get your payments on time in the event of an emergency or unforeseen circumstances. They recommend that you register today to avoid delays. The Government of Canada is switching to direct deposit for all payments that it issues. The government says on the CRA website that direct deposit is convenient, reliable, and secure, and it saves taxpayers money.

If you already signed up for direct deposit and provided bank account information to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for one or more payments they will continue to use this information for those payments. However, if you become entitled to a new payment, you are asked to contact the CRA to authorize them to use your existing information, or provide new direct deposit banking information.

If you receive at least one of the following payments from the CRA, you can sign up for direct deposit: income tax refund; goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax credit and any similar provincial and territorial payments; Canada child benefit and any similar provincial and territorial payments; working income tax benefit; deemed overpayment of tax. You can sign up online, by using an online mobile application, through your financial institution, or by telephone. If you choose to use the telephone, call CRA at 1-800-959-8281. You will need your: social insurance number; full name and current address, including postal code; date of birth; most recent income tax and benefit return and information about the most recent payments you got from the CRA; banking information: three-digit financial institution number, five-digit transit number, and your account number. You can also sign up by mail. First you need to complete a copy of the “Canada Direct Deposit enrolment form” and then you can mail it to the address on the form. The library or Community Care staff will print the form for you if you need help with that.

Tax returns start March 1

Community Care volunteers will complete 2018 income tax returns for seniors 60-plus who live in Prince Edward County starting on March 1. Volunteers have been trained by the CRA to complete income tax returns for eligible clients. There is no charge, donations are encouraged. For information call 613-476-7493.

February Seniors Luncheon Socials

Enjoy a tasty meal on Wednesdays: Feb. 6 in Picton; Feb. 13 in Wellington; Feb. 20 in Milford; and Feb. 27 in Waupoos. All events are at noon. The menu in all locations features homemade soup, chicken pot pie, potatoes, vegetable, dessert, bread and butter, coffee and tea and will be catered by Bill Grieve, the chef with Wheel House and Occasions Catering. The cost is $10 per person. There will be a presentations following the meal. Reserve by the Tuesday prior at noon by calling 613-476-7493. Take-out and delivery is available.

Don’t miss these presentations

There will be a presentation about local support services for stoke survivors and caregivers on Feb. 4 at 10 a.m. in Bloomfield Town Hall. On Feb. 6 at 1:30 p.m. in the Athol Town Hall fire prevention officer Mike Branscombe will discuss winter fire safety for seniors. Refreshments served at both events. Registration required by calling 613-476-7493.