Public invited to have their say regarding fate of “Holding Court” Statue

Holding Court. (Desirée Decoste/Gazette Staff)



Pubic consultation on the fate of “Holding Court”, the statue of Sir John A. Macdonald by Ruth Abernethy, is now being welcomed by the Holding Court Working Group via the municipal Have Your Say website.

The working group was recently formed as an offshoot of the Prince Edward Heritage Advisory Committee (PEHAC) as a way to determine the best location for the contentious statue.

The working group is expected to conduct public consultation, research and ultimately to make recommendations about the future of the statue. Their findings will inform a staff report that will go to PEHAC and Council by December 1, 2020.

Have Your Say currently has two feedback options. Participants are invited to share what the statue means to them. As well, they can make suggestions about what should be done with the statue.

Additional tools may be added later during the consultation process.

In addition to the aforementioned feedback tools, the consultation page includes a variety of resources so that the public can learn more about the history of the statue and the 10 principles of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada that are guiding the working group.

Those interested are also invited to speak directly to the working group in person or virtually during one of their meetings.

In addition to these avenues for public consultation, a town hall event is scheduled for discussion about this statue this fall. The public will be notified in advance of this event.

After being in storage due to construction, the statue has sparked public debate along with acts of vandalism since its re-installation on Main Street in early 2020.

The public can send written comments by mail to The “Holding Court” Statue Working Group, c/o County of Prince Edward, 332 Main Street, Picton, ON, K0K 2T0, by fax to: 613-476-5727, or by email to:

For further information or questions, contact Emily Cowan, Community Programs Supervisor, at 613-476-2148 extension 2503 or email:

To access the Have Your Say website, please visit: