Stories from our past-April 21, 2022

Each week, the Gazette looks back on stories from the past. Here is what happened this week, by year…

1912:

  • Hillier-Mr. Sherwin, the new store-keeper, is now in charge. Mr. Alexander and family expect to leave for Calgary soon.
  • On Monday, the Ladies Guild opened their Bazaar at the town hall. During the afternoon and evening the proceeds from the sale of goods neared fifty dollars.
  • The maple sugar season has closed and the farmers of our vicinity report a very poor sugar season.

1952:

  • The Picton Armories was renovated and redecorated for inspection following a fire which sept through the building.
  • The Gazette announced publication of its tourism folder called Quinte’s Isle of Lakes and Bays.
  • J. Bradbury of the Investment Dealers’ Association spoke at a Rotary Club dinner urging Canadians to invest in their native land.

1972:

  • A poster contest is being held in conjunction with Canada’s Book Week. The contest is open to all adult members of the Picton Public Library.
  • The Mother’s Auxiliary of the Picton and District Minor Hockey Association will be holding another dance this Saturday night.
  • Sportsmanship joined hands with lively gaiety at the Prince Edward Curling Club for the official end to the curling season.

1982:

  • Beginning Easter Sunday, the old town clock atop the tower of the Picton United Church added its bass note to the swelling chorus of street sounds after a 15 year hiatus.
  • A suggestion by Picton Reeve Charles Hepburn that the Prince Edward County Council consider upping its grant to the Quinte’s Isle Tourism Assocation proved to be a contentious issue.
  • A former student at Pinecrest School in Bloomfield, Ron Hennessy, 15, was one of three young air cadet recruits to recently complete a Junior Non Commission Officer course in Trenton.