New County Foundation grant to benefit public

The County Foundation has announced a grant that is new in 2022.

The Municipal Financial Relief Grant is administered by The County Foundation. Residents can apply for one of the two grant streams Applications are open now. A Notice of Assessment from Revenue Canada is required to be able to apply for either of the grants outlined below:

Grant Stream 1 – Water/wastewater bill relief for low-income renters. Tenants are eligible if they pay for water/wastewater services, and they earn $31,200/year or less (for single occupants), or $62,400/year or less (for multiple occupants). The maximum grant is a credit of $250 that may be applied to your water/wastewater account for 2022.

Grant Stream 2 – Property tax relief for low-income homeowners. Property owners may be eligible if they pay municipal tax on their primary residence in Prince Edward County.

To be eligible applicants must earn $31,200/year or less (for single occupants), or $62,400/year or less (for multiple occupants). The maximum grant is a credit of $500 which may be applied to your property tax account for 2022. As noted above you need to have your notice of assessment (NOA) to apply. The NOA is an evaluation of your tax return that the Canada Revenue Agency sends you every year after you file your tax return. Your NOA includes the date CRA checked your tax return, and the details about how much you may owe, or get as a refund or credit. The NOA also gives your Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) deduction limit for that year.

Your NOA is an important document and most people keep it with their tax records. To complete the application form online for the Municipal Financial Relief Grant go to . If you’re a senior who meets the above eligibility criteria and you need help to apply then contact Prince Edward Community Care for assistance. Make sure you find your Notice of Assessment in advance.

If you don’t have the NOA for 2021 then maybe you didn’t do your Income Tax yet. If that’s the case then call Community Care and we’ll help you do your Income Tax so that you can get the NOA. Community Care volunteers will even do back taxes if that’s something that you need done. We’ve been part of the Community Volunteer Income Tax program for almost 40 years and our volunteers are well trained by CRA to do your taxes.

If you have questions please call 613-476-7493 or email

-Debbie MacDonald Moynes