Accidental fire displaces former County councillor

The scene of a house fire on Wilson road near Wellington. (Desirée Decoste/Gazette Staff)

A former Prince Edward County Councillor and his school aged son escaped with their lives and not much else from a fire that razed their home Saturday evening.

Steven Graham represented Hillier from 2014 to 2018 and was home on Saturday evening when he was alerted to an accidental fire at his house on Wilson Road. Graham successfully woke his son and escaped the blaze as it quickly engulfed the structure.

Former councillors Gord Fox and Steve Graham during a meeting in 2018. (Jason Parks/Gazette Staff)

The County of Prince Edward confirmed Prince Edward County Fire & Rescue (PECFR) responded to a structure fire on Wilson Road shortly after 11 p.m. Saturday March 4. 

“Two occupants were home at the time of the fire and escaped without injury.  The structure was fully involved when crews arrived and took about an hour and a half to bring under control,” the County said in a statement. “The residential structure is a complete loss with an estimated loss of $750,000.  The cause of the fire has been determined to be accidental.”

“PECFR reminds residents that smoke and CO alarms are required in residential properties,” said Fire Chief Chad Brown.  “These alarms serve as early detection of fire and CO and notifies occupants of unsafe environments so they have time to safely escape.  Please check your smoke and CO alarms to ensure they are working in your home today.”

A Gofund me account has been started for Graham and his family.